Monday, November 15, 2010

Monday news sludge

Did you watch the Giller awards ceremony? I caught up with in as a rerun this weekend, and I'm so glad I did. Not only was the wealth of young faces totally refreshing, it was energising to hear Canadians speak so engagingly - and passionately - about our literature. I hate when people use the word, classy, frankly ('cause I think it's a little vulgar) but I have to break with that rule and say that Jack is a class act, because, um, he just is. I had the great honour of meeting him in person when we both spoke at ABQLA's 75th anniversary a few years back, and he is just as interesting - and interested in everything - and totally warm as he looks on TV.

If you watched the ceremony, perhaps, like me, you were also moved to tears by Joanna Skibsrud's sisters tears when she won - that was such a great moment!

Meanwhile, news swirls around us, including the first item here, which is Giller-related. It should be extra incentive to complete the One Country, 5 Books challenge!:
Eeek. Now I am going to be late for work if I don't leave the house RIGHT NOW!

1 comment:

  1. I thought the audience for the Giller Awards was mostly old caucasians. I didn't see any young faces

    ReplyDelete