Friday, November 12, 2010

Felt Friday: Colours


Back by popular demand! I am pretty sure I won't be able to post every Friday (as I did in May), but I will try to revive Felt Fridays once in awhile.

This is a newly-constructed felt. Heartfelt thanks goes out to the staff of Rideau Branch, who helped me make these mittens during The Great Melodramatic Symphony Update of 2010. They cut out the mittens according to my template and colour specifications; I decorated them (my favourite is the grey mitten with the snowflake design.... and yeah, I hand-sewed that swirly thing on the small green mitten).

I'm breaking this felt in this week for storytime, since my theme is colours. Books I will probably use:
  • Wow, said the owl
  • Le RĂªve de Mimi
  • De quelle couleur est ta culotte?
  • Blue Goose
More titles can be found tagged "colours" in my LibraryThing account here. I prefer to read Frederick in the spring; I had also just read Where Is the Green Sheep? a few months ago.

Now, the reason for specificity with mitten colours: I use the mittens during the below song! In fact, each of the mittens above has a "mate," which I am planning to hand out to kids before storytime. They can then come up and match their mitten to the one on the board.

If Your Clothes Have Any Red (tune: “If you’re happy and you know it;” props to Kaya for coming up with extra verses to this song)

If your clothes have any red, any red,
If your clothes have any red, any red,
If your clothes have any red, put your finger on your head,
If your clothes have any red, any red.

Pink – give your neighbour a big wink!
Blue – reach down and touch your shoe!
White – reach up with all your might!
Purple – make yourself comforturple!
Grey – dance your sillies all away!
Green – wave your hand so you are seen
Yellow – smile like a happy fellow
Brown – turn your smile into a frown
Black – put your hands behind your back.

2 comments:

  1. Too cute!!! What is it about mittens that is so irrestible?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are practical AND adorable - how often can you say that?

    ReplyDelete