Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Centrally-heated knickers... coming to an English school near you!

Now, that got your attention.

British Children's Laureate Michael Rosen (of the fab The Sad Book, and many, many others) is on a campaign to improve the drab reading choices in schools in England. Down with Kipper! And Biff (I have not made Biff's acquaintance yet, but I sense I'm not missing much).

And hello to "a touch of irreverence and imagination." Rosen's "own books and poems, which children love, celebrate chaos and creativity: in one, a three-year-old is put on the naughty chair for saying “baa baa moo moo” when singing Baa Baa Black Sheep, in another, a teacher is so strict her class is forbidden from breathing. With titles such as Centrally Heated Knickers, or Mustard, Custard, Grumble Belly and Gravy they might not all make strict “sense”, but they make great reads."

I also just saw Rosen wrote a version of Little Rabbit Foo Foo. Best. Song. Ever.

Excuse me while I go off and hum that for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment