Thursday, July 7, 2011

Career planning tips

A great article reporting about a session at ALA offering perspectives on "Planning Your Move Up the Career Ladder" presented the following excellent pieces of advice:

  1. Take risks: don't be afraid of change or deviate from the plan.
  2. Know your strengths and weaknesses (that's something I especially learned at NELI)
  3. Recognize opportunities for growth. One panellist said something I strongly believe in: "one’s career can advance even within a fairly static context."
  4. Be willing to move sideways, or rapidly back and forth.
  5. Volunteer for work that others avoid, and find the positives in that work (I may have done this myself, and while it may not have been my favourite thing, it was a great learning experience and gave me a chance to excel at something I wouldn't have expected to even enjoy).
See also:

No comments:

Post a Comment