I am not really the type of person who is reflective on New Year's Eve, nor am I frankly the type of person to see the glass as half-full, but putting this list together made me appreciative of all the wonderful experiences I have been fortunate to have this year.
Below, a list of things that made 2010 truly memorable and amazing for me, in no particular order.
- Coming back to Rideau Branch in a new, supervisory role, and nurturing new partnerships in the community with groups serving marginalised populations, including the homeless.
- Running my first half-marathon.
- Discovering that a post on my blog was picked up by an Ottawa Citizen blogger (sorry, can't resist the linkage), and being mentioned in OttawaStart's Ottawa Blog Guide.
- Attending the Northern Exposure to Leadership Institute. A truly transformative experience which taught me a great deal about myself, and has blessed me with an entire network of remarkable librarians.
- Celebrating turning 30 twice: once with good friends over dinner at one of my favourite restaurants, and again with my rezlings in Niagara on the lake, the first of (hopefully) many rezling vacations!
- Going to the beach for the first time in my life (don't mock!)
- Speaking to a packed room of enthusiastic library technicians at the OALT conference in Hamilton, Ontario, capping off a round of speaking engagements about online RA tools (OLA and CLA talks were in 2009). Now, for the next chapter...
- Being present for milestones in the lives of people I love: Meeting the first rezling offspring (miraculous) and attending my high school best friend's wedding (moving).
- Starting the Digestive Librarians' Digest with Lora and Laura, blessing me with another (overlapping!) network of remarkable librarians ... who love to eat!
- Bearing witness to magnificent works of art: hearing Kathleen Battle at the NAC, and watching Richard III at Hart House Theatre.