I'm still just getting settled in my new home, and dealing with a flurry of projects and nice juicy situations to sink my teeth into. Here's a run-down of what we have on the agenda, in terms of programs, in the near future.
Carlingwood has two book clubs, one on the first Wednesday of the month from 2 - 3:30 pm (reading Colm Toibin's Brooklyn this month - I just met them today!), and one on the second Wednesday of the month at the same time (reading The Bishop's Man by Linden MacIntyre this month).
We're also hosting one of the visits by our fabulous Digital Services staff, who will present what I call the Digital Media Petting Zoo (stolen from Lora), but is technically called Digital Media: Downloading Audiobooks , E-books and Music from the library. This session focuses on how to find and download our e-books, audio books, digital music collection, exploring supported devices and OPL policies. The session will be on Tuesday Jan 31, 2012 (6:30 pm - 8:30 pm )
Other fun programs:
- Monday Jan 23, 2012 from 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm - Protecting your computer: It only takes about 15 minutes for an unprotected computer to be compromised after connecting to the Internet. Don't let it be yours. Chris Tayler, from the Ottawa PC Users' Group, will give you tips to prevent hacking on your computer.
- Monday Feb 27, 2012 from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm - Have you been diagnosed with fibromyalgia?: Dr. Joseph Lawrence, a chiropractic neurologist, gives a lecture on one of the most controversial topics in chronic pain. He will discuss lab values, contributing causes, innovative approaches to give results - and much more.
- Wednesday Feb 22, 2012 from 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm - Knowledge is Power: Ovarian Cancer Canada representatives will discuss the signs, symptoms and risk factors of the disease.
- Monday Jan 30, 2012 from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm - The 3 Secrets to Stress Management: Is stress having an overwheming impact on your life? Dr. Surbjit Herr offers safe and effective ways to manage the 3 diffent types of stress, so that they don't take over your body and overall health.
- Monday Jan 16, 2012 from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm - Cuba - beyond the beaches and resorts: Join traveller and photographer Alex Bissett on a journey through Cuba, visiting colonial cities, beautiful countryside, revolutionary headquarters and the hideouts of Castro and Che Guevara.
- Wednesday Feb 15, 2012 from 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm - Memoir Writing Workshop with Alan Cumyn (MASC): Alan Cumyn’s books include the Giller Prize finalist, Burridge Unbound, and the acclaimed Great War novels The Sojourn and The Famished Lover. Join him for this workshop on memoir writing. Offered in partnership with MASC. For Adults 50+.