Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A proper post, for reals

Seriously, kids. I've been run off my feet even more than usual these past few weeks. This week's adventures have involved training new staff on various things (including readers' advisory at OPL: the blog, the catalogue, and print tools like read-alike bookmarks, shelftalkers, and reading maps), finding a craft suitable for Sukkot (that's a long story!), a journalism student on the Bookmobile (yay!), various personnel issues and scheduling issues (resulting in me doing a Bookmobile run today to kill 3 birds with one stone: filling staff shortage and maintaining 75% service for the day, taking care of the journo, and going out with the only driver I haven't been out with yet), and (on Friday) The Royal Society of Canada's (RSC) Annual Symposium: Literacy and Citizenship in the 21st Century. In between that, I only have about a million emails to reply to, a presentation to finalise for next week, a speech to write (this and presi for RA in a day next week), and volunteers who have (or can get asap) police records checks to corral for our branch library homework clubs (Srsly. Want to volunteer? Branches that have an immediate need include Greenboro, Ruth E. Dickinson, and St Laurent; futures include Blackburn Hamlet and North Gloucester. Email me at libraryvolunteers [at] BiblioOttawaLibrary.ca).

Last week involved the Mayor's Seniors Summit, working a day at Rideau Branch (it was super cool to see some of my "old" regulars happy to see me! Plus I got to sit in on a wicked author event that is part of our Fall Author Series), more training of new employees, and the always-amazing Dewey Divas.

Meanwhile, I've been reading (some for CLA BOYCA, some for fun):
  • The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje (maybe it's 'cause I have a crush on him, but I read EVERY Ondaatje with his voice in my head. It's delicious)
  • That Boy Red by Rachna Gilmore (Gilmore's best yet, by far. Red is equal parts Anne Shirley - comparison can't be helped, Ramona, Owen Skye, and Clementine)
  • Dragon Seer's Gift by Janet McNaughton (I am really intrigued by where this series for older children is going.... Well-done!)
  • Broken Trail by Jean Rae Baxter
  • Where Children Sleep by James Mollison (heartbreaking and touching photo essay book about children's bedrooms, and sleeping quarters, around the world. Compare and contrast a pile of garbage with a room full of toys, etc. Read with Kleenex. Great for Grade 3+ in a classroom setting)
  • Half-Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan (made me want to re-read some James Baldwin)
  • The Beggar's Garden by Michael Christie (I know, 2011 is apparently the Year of the Short Story for me. I demand to be patted on the back)
  • Reinventing the Rose by Kenneth J. Harvey (just plain ... weird)
Must now get off computer. Spend enough time on computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment